Sunday, November 30, 2008

Change is good.


For all of us college students, Thanksgiving break was a time to spend time with family members, see high school friends, and eat a lot of food!  I noticed a couple of interesting things about the changes from high school to college that I never thought would change.

For the few weeks leading up to Thanksgiving break I remember thinking thoughts such as “I can not wait to take a shower without shower shoes” and “YES! This is my last cafeteria meal for a whole week”.  I never thought I’d actually come home to think I would be missing the little things at SMU, such as my mattress.  At home, it honestly was hard to fall asleep in a bed that I have slept in for 18 years.  And yes, I was upset that I couldn’t have my Wednesday Mac’s place chicken fingers.  I guess what I am trying to say is that even though I was very ready to go back home for the break, I am very happy to be back seeing my friends, eating in Mac’s place, and, of course, sleeping in my bed.

I also noticed how much songs play an important part in our lives.  Songs defined my weekends in high school.  Whenever I listened to songs getting ready for school, driving with my friends, or before a cross-country meet, I always associated that song with that time period.  When I went home for the break, the song “whatever you like” by T.I. started to play when I was at a party.  I realized that this song was very out of place-it only reminded me of my friends from SMU.  As my friends and I danced to this song, I realized that this song defined my freshman year; it didn’t define my reunion with my friends.  I never really thought that any of my friends ever moved on from our lives at home, until I heard that song. 

No comments: